As a Psychology Board of Australia’s approved supervisor, I supervise clinicians (psychologists and psychotherapists). Occasionally, I also supervise students (4+2 and 5+1 core competencies).
My supervision work is supervisee-centered, consultative, empowering, and culturally responsive.
I use adult learning principles that foster self-reflection, self-exploration, self-discovery, self-efficacy, enhanced capability, and competence.
My working style is caring, compassionate, educational, insightful, inspiring, and strengths based.
I am also a respectful and astute challenger.
I am able to work comfortably with, or integrate, any of the following supervision models:
- Developmental Model for Supervision (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Integrated Developmental Model (IDM): Three Levels of Supervisee Development (1, 2 & 3)
- Kagan’s Interpersonal Process Recall (Recall, Inquiry, Debrief)
- Relational Matrix Model of Supervision (Context, Framing, Inter-connection): Self, Other, Situation (SOS) (Client, Supervisee, Supervisor)
- Seven Eyed Model Lens (Focus on: supervisee; strategies/interventions; relationships; supervisee’s experience of the process; parallel process; supervisor’s experience and reflections; and wider context)
- Supervision Triangle (Client-Topic, Practitioner, Relationship)
- Three Ps of Supervision (Philosophy, Purpose and Process)
Regardless of the model used, I always incorporate the following core components, and offer the following variable/optional components, in my supervision work.
- Core Components
- Contract setting (roles, responsibilities, trouble-shooting)
- Ethics (ethical continuum: issues to dilemmas)
- Working alliance
- Supervision frame
- Supervision goals: strengths and needs
- Feedback type (formative and/or summative)
- Self-care and professional identity
- Reflective practice
- Variable/Optional Components
- Case presentations
- Live supervision
- Notable incidents
- Pleased platform (as developed by D. Hewson)
- Observation methods
- Small group discussions
- Video-taped feedback techniques
Book a supervision session with Sebastian